Saturday, November 19, 2011

DIY Play Dough

What is it with kids and Play Dough? It can keep them busy for hours! Even my 10 year old sits there and plays with it for as long as her 7 year old brother does and sometimes longer. I’ve never liked buying play dough because I didn’t think the price and the size of the play dough you got, matched up lol, not to mention it always got mixed with other colors or it dried out. I have recently changed my mind because I found a recipe here on, How Does She? for me to make it on my own! Now that I can do! It cost WAAY less money and you get a heck of a lot more and we get to have fun picking our own colors and making it together :D SO I made sure I had all the ingredients, which I didn’t (I’ve never even heard of Cream of Tartar lol), I finally got the stuff we needed and got to it! It was SSOO easy! Even easier than the Salt Dough, this is kinda weird considering salt dough only takes 3 ingredients...


So here is what you need….
1 cup flour
1 cup water
¼ cup salt
1 tbls vegetable oil
2 tsp cream of tartar
& your choice of food coloring

Now throw it all in a pot and mix it real well, 

cook it over medium heat, stirring constantly until it forms into a ball or a big clump,

Place on wax paper and let it cool. When cooled knead until it’s smooth and soft. I had my kids knead the dough while I started a new batch and color. Some of us (Kiarrah) got really into kneading, face expressions and all :)


The first batch we made got dug into right away. Cookie cutters, butter knives, rolling pins… the works. I was very excited to see them enjoying something that I made for them. On the other hand, our second batch wasn’t so loved at first. Kiarrah helped me make all 5 (yellow, lime green, black, red and dark blue) BUT when they were finished and ready to be played with she was over it lol. Gabriel was playing a pizza-math game on the computer and only stopped long enough to come watch me make the black play dough (we were all excited for that one). So I put them in their containers and there they still sit :) My kiddos did say that they were gonna play with it all morning LOL.





<3 Rae 

No comments:

Post a Comment